I was inspired a few weeks ago by a recipe I saw on Pinterest that used Greek yogurt in place of cream in a pasta sauce. This excited me greatly because I never ever eat creamy sauces because they are much too rich for me and it makes me sad – they always look so good! I get sauce envy. But Greek yogurt, one of my very favorite magical foods (a neighbor on the list to other foods such as quinoa, spaghetti squash, pumpkin, and many others), was the perfect solution to my cream sauce problems.
This recipe could be adapted for many different dish varieties — change out the chicken for another protein, add or subtract veggies, choose your favorite pasta type…the possibilities are endless.
Greek Yogurt Creamy Tomato Sauce and Pasta
1-1/2 cups of pasta (I used orecchiette because it’s so fun)
about 1 lb of grilled chicken breast, cut into strips
1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
1/3 cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
3-4 roma tomatoes, diced
1 package of fresh spinach
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz baby bella mushrooms (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
shaved parmesan (optional)
1. Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the package. Drain and set aside for later.
2. Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes on medium low heat until garlic starts to brown and become soft.
3. Add tomatoes and mushrooms to the skillet along with salt and pepper. Allow to cook about 5 minutes.
4. Add chicken strips to skillet and cook until warmed.
5. Reduce heat to low and add tomato sauce and yogurt. Stir until combined and add the cooked pasta.
6. Once pasta is well coated in the sauce, add the spinach to the skillet and cover skillet with lid. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir occasionally to help spinach get covered.
7. Top with shaved parmesan and enjoy!
This made about 3 servings which was perfect. Add a little more pasta and it would easily be 4.
I am blown away by the nutritional information too — it’s a little higher in calories than what I normally aim to have at dinner, but so worth it. I can’t wait to make this again! Enjoy!!
|Total Fat||17.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||51.2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6.0 g|
|Vitamin A||181.8 %|
|Vitamin B-12||10.5 %|
|Vitamin B-6||49.0 %|
|Vitamin C||51.6 %|
|Vitamin D||0.0 %|
|Vitamin E||12.6 %|
|Pantothenic Acid||12.9 %|