Long time no post! Goodness, the summer has been so busy! You know this recipe I’m about to share is really good if it has inspired me to take time for a post! I owe my late night pinning on Pinterest to the discovery of a yummy photo that led to this recipe.
These are a must try! They looked impressive, tasted amazing, and more or less are pretty healthy.
Cornbread Grilled Cheese
Inspired by this great blog: Closet Cooking
1 loaf of cornbread (I used the Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free mix and deviated from the instructions with egg whites and applesauce in the batter to cut calories instead of butter and full eggs)
Refried Black Beans (I used organic store brand ones)
4 slices of cheddar
1 onion, in caramelized strips (I used the random Latin seasonings I had in the pantry)
Guacamole and sour cream for garnish if desired
1. I made the cornbread a few hours ahead of time so it was cool and easier to cut. Cut into 8 slices and try to match up the sizes in pairs as best as possible for the sandwiches.
2. Prepare the caramelized onions.
3. Slightly heat refried beans.
4. In a large skillet on medium heat sprayed with cooking oil, lay 4 slices (2 pairs) of cornbread and allow to brown on one side. Our cheese slices from the deli were pretty thick so I added the cheese right away, put a lid on the pa , and let the circulating heat get a jumpstart on melting the cheese. Shredded cheese might take less time so wait a few minutes before adding it. Either way, the cheese goes on 1 slice of each set.
5. Once the cheese was getting melty, I spread some refried beans and topped that with the caramelized onions on the other slice of each pair, flipped the cheese side carefully on top of the bean side, covered the pan again, and let it sit another couple minutes on low heat to finish the melting and warming of the fillings.
6. Serve with guac and sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) on top of each slice and enjoy!!
Makes 4 sandwiches