Today started the Paleo challenge at my gym and I am jumping in and ready to do this! Or at least I think I am. Day 1 had ups and downs.
Here are the rules:
1. No Fruit during week #1
2. One serving of fruit permitted (per day) during week #2
3. Two servings of fruit permitted (per day) during week #3
4. Full Paleo, no restrictions, beginning week #4 (May 6th)
5. Paleo-free day (May 5th) Cinco de Mayo. You can eat whatever you want, but try not to overdue it. This isn’t a golden ticket to Guapo’s. Don’t undue so much of your hard work. Lets also say that, hypothetically, you happen to have a non-Paleo day that falls outside of day May 5th – well, you just used up your free day.
6. Alcohol – Stick to clear alcohol and soda water over tonic water. One glass of red wine equals one serving of fruit, no-beer (light beer? No-Beer)
7. Challenge ends on (May 26th) 6 weeks
1. Two CrossFit WOD, Tabata, Spin, Group Ex., etc. minimum per week.
2. Two Cardio Day min per week (35 min your choice)
3. Log your activity, (Beyond the Whiteboard) 30 days Free.
4. You are accountable for your own actions. If you fall outside guidelines, it is up to you to annotate/record the happenings. (i.e. – you eat non-Paleo on more than one occasion)
5. Integrity is key. Don’t cheat yourself or your battle-buddies.
6. Make the effort to use the blog for any questions you may have, any issues you may need sorting, or any support you may require.
7. Help out your battle buddy – if someone needs an encouraging word, a thumbs up, or a congratulatory pat on the back – be there for one another.
8. Remember that this is not a punishment it is an opportunity.
9. SLEEP! Try your darndest to sleep a good 8 hours daily.
– April 12th Intro Seminar 6pm (Energy Club Lobby)
– April 14th Measurements Completed
– April 15th Start the Challange
– May 3rd Happy Hour (clear liquor) location TBA
– May 5th Free Day Cinco deMayo – Have a Corona
– May 17th 6pm Bring a Paleo Dish to the Energy Club, FREE (Roof Top) WOD at 6pm weather permitting.
– May 26th Challenge Ends – Come to the Gym at 2pm for your final measure and for the announcing of the winner.
Sooo, that’s it! Piece of cake, yeah? (Mmmm….cake….sigh…)
I am definitely already looking forward to week 2 when
wine fruit will be allowed. Going through the day today I felt like I was consuming way more salt than I am used to. And also way more meat. I don’t usually eat much meat, so this is going to get interesting!
Alright here is what I ate today:
-Coffee with almond milk and a little sprinkle of coconut granules that I got yesterday at Whole Foods
-eggs with peppers and onions (baked yesterday in a casserole dish to be easily reheated at work)
-turkey sausage links
-a few veggie chips (sliced veggies that were tossed in olive oil and a little sea salt and naked)
Challenge #1 of the day — a work lunch! I forgot that I had a lunch meeting about sustainable and green architecture today at work so I was prepared to eat my own lunch afterwards, but in keeping with the theme of the event, all the food provided was locally sourced produce, grass fed grilled meats…perfect! So I had a salad with grilled chicken on it.
-carrots with homemade Paleo Ranch Dressing (see below)
-Challenge #2 was a birthday dinner for a friend which meant having to find paleo friendly food on the menu. Good news was that the nice upscale Asian place we went to had steamed chicken and veggies on the menu. No sauce. Woh woh…it was EXTREMELY BORING, but I survived the food envy.
-Challenge #3 was saying no to a trip to get froyo with everyone after dinner.
Le sigh…I am in bed with my teeth brushed and feeling quite hungry. But day 1 is complete and I need to try to get my 8hrs of sleep now!
Wish me luck for day 2…
Paleo Ranch Dressing
From this blog
1 cup olive oil
1 cup Coconut Milk (use canned to get the thicker texture or use coconut cream mixed with coconut milk)
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs prepared dijon mustard
2 tsp Dill
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Chives
4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 tsp Sea Salt (to taste)
1/2 tsp pepper (to taste)
Combine all ingredients in a blender or magic bullet and pulse until well combined.