My sweet tooth could still not be ignored during the paleo challenge (by sweet tooth I mainly mean “intense desire for chocolate!”) so we experimented with several dessert recipes and these cookies were the best of all of them. And towards the end of the challenge we got a little creative and made them into ice cream cookie sandwiches. It was SUCH a good idea if I do say so myself!
For the cookies
-1 cup almond meal
-pinch of sea salt
-pinch of baking soda
-3 tbsp melted coconut oil (make sure you measure it in the melted form!)
-2 tbsp maple syrup (or honey)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tbsp almond or coconut milk
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (we used the dairy free kind that can easily be found at Whole Foods)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl combine all of the dry ingredients (except chocolate chips)
3. In a small bowl whisk together the wet ingredients
4. Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until combined. Add in chocolate chips.
5. Drop in heaping tablespoonfuls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool on wire rack.
For the ice cream sandwiches:
Add a scoop of coconut milk ice cream between 2 cookies. For extra razzle dazzle, roll the edges in mini chocolate chips. You won’t regret it! 🙂