Happy Monday! I had such a glorious weekend that started with a sunrise run in DC with a friend and we ended it right in time with the light of the new day waking up the cherry blossoms that were just starting their blooming cycle. God is so good and in the hustle and bustle of life it’s so easy to overlook the glory of newness around us. I’m so glad we got to enjoy these beautiful trees – it always seems like such a DC tradition to see the blossoms and battle the hordes of tourists (and photographers with tripods….oh my gosh, SO many tripods!) before we are really ready to acknowledge that spring is officially here.
After the wonderful morning, I headed up to Maryland for a fun afternoon of painting and wine with local girls from my larger Stella & Dot team. I was not feeling motivated by the pre-planned picture, so I dug into my phone for a photo from the morning and let the cherry blossoms inspire me!
Speaking of cherry blossoms, I have been enjoying local sweet blossom-inspired treats these past couple weeks….yum
And yesterday was just a relaxing day. I even got to soak up some sun on my porch while reading a book. I now have a VERY faint tan line. Yay! I’m ready for my pasty white winter legs to get some color! Then yesterday afternoon I got inspired to make some healthy muffins for an easy weekday morning breakfast. I am totally obsessed with avocado as I’ve said several times now. So these totally hit the spot – they don’t really taste like avocado, but I love knowing it’s in there! I made some extra muffins to take down the street to my wonderful friends who just brought their brand new 1 day old baby home yesterday!
Blueberry Avocado Muffins
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour (you can use white flour, or a combo of both if you don’t like all whole wheat flour)
1/3 cup flaxseed meal (feel free to leave this out and just increase the flour measurement to a total of 2 cups)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ripe avocado (seeded and peeled)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain green yogurt (I used slightly more than a cup just because I got 2 single-serve containers of yogurt that were 5.3oz each and didn’t want to waste any)
1 1/2 cups blueberries (I used fresh, but frozen is always an option), rinsed and dried
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (again, white is fine)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup dry oats (quick or old-fashioned)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line muffin tins with paper liners
2) In a medium bowl, combine flour, meal, baking soda and powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3) In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the avocado on medium speed until smooth. Add sugar and mix until smooth. Next add egg, beating until well combined. Add the vanilla and yogurt, mixing until just incorporated.
4) Add half of the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, beating until just combined. Repeat with 2nd half
of dry mixture. With a spatula, gently fold in blueberries.
5) Fill muffin liners with a heaping 1/4 cup of batter.
6) To make streusel topping, in a small bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Using a fork, cut in butter in small pieces and continue to mix/mash with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle onto muffins and press slightly into batter. Bake muffins 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Makes 14-16 muffins
Nutritional Info (14 servings)
Calories: 189, Fat: 5.7g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 21mg, Sodium: 224mg, Potassium: 82mg, Total Carb: 33g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 17g, Protein: 6g